I’ve finally started my holiday gift creating (I say creating and not shopping because most of my gifts aren’t being purchased this year) and it’s so much fun! I really enjoy giving and am also really aware of the impact on our environmental resources this holiday season has. My holiday slogan – shop locally, act globally, think cosmically. So, here are some ways I thought of to be nice to Mother Nature and others, no matter what holiday you are celebrating:
- Wrap gifts with newspaper or another paper you would be getting rid of otherwise
- Shop locally, duh
- Go to Goodwill, Buffaloe Exchange, or other used items stores
- Create coupons (extra points for having them on recycled paper) for time to spend together, activities, or favors
- Give gifts that will help people be more sustainable such as reusable coffee mugs or bamboo silverware they can take with them on the go
- Write love letters to the people you care about most, words can be much more meaningful than things
- Homemade soaps, candles, or even baked goods say a lot about the time and care you invested in creating something for someone.
- I had to end this list with my own shameless self-promotion…items that encourage people to care about the Earth, right on your sleeve via my environmental and astrology themed t-shirts and other items with my Creative Type Designs
Happy holidays and merry gifting!